Financial catastrophe in the offing. The US debt has been downgraded from AAA to AA+. The United States government joins those of Belgium and Slovenia.
Wait a minute, an AA+ rating is not so bad. Yet.
The debt downgrade will be costly, especially if the government continues to spend like a drunken fool. Given Obama's financial sense, he will insist on more spending. His financial sense is like the joke about the person who insists he can't be overdrawn... he still has checks left.
Its time for us all to remind our elected officials to sober up, to cut federal spending and pay down national debt. We can't afford to sell America's future, 'cause we can't get a good price for it anymore.
Recent times the world ended.
- 12/31/99 - the Y2K bug, which fizzled.
- Hurricane Katrina. The Party controlled press blamed Bush.
- Floods in the Mississippi basin. The Democrats blamed Bush again.
- 9.2% unemployment. The Democrats blamed... oh, you know.
- Earthquake and tsunami in Japan. I don't make light of this one; real people got really hurt. But this was supposed to cause massive disruptions in manufacturing worldwide. So far, not much.
- Global warming - no global cooling - no climate change. There, that covers it.
Back in the early 1970s, there was a commercial on television which predicted mankind would be standing shoulder to shoulder across the face of the earth by 2072. Not only that, the commercial extrapolated we would be standing in 22 feet of beer.
I can't wait.
Personally, I look forward to Winter Solstice, 12/21/2012, when the world is supposed to end due to galactic alignments. If we have any luck, it'll really happen.